Saturday, June 7, 2008

Bravo, Google!

I, Lala, just had to applaud Google for appropriating Diego Velazquez's Las Meninas painting yesterday for its default logo. The Spanish painters have always been my favourites, from El Greco (yes, I think the Spanish can claim him) to Zurbaran to Velazquez to GOYA to Picasso, Miro, etc. The Spanish hall was always a must in the Louvre for me.

I was disappointed that I had failed to do a screengrab of the appropriation yesterday while at work, but thanks to the wonders of the internet, someone else had of course. Moreover, some blogged about it. I read some disapproving criticisms that Google had wrongly opted to celebrate the artist's birthday over a memorial tribute to D-day, but it's not like the remembrance and significance of the liberating military operation wasn't recognised by countless others or suddenly eclipsed by Google's homage to Velazquez. (Why do people always think it's either-or?)

How wonderful that both events can be commemorated on the same day, simultaneously. It only makes the day more significant!

Bravo, Google!

No comments: